Kale coleslaw is a twist on traditional coleslaw. It's a crunchy kale salad, that's colorful and zesty packed with flavor and nutrients.
In addition to being delicious, this zesty kale coleslaw has many nutritional benefits and it's the perfect make-ahead side dish. It's filled with healthy veggies, tossed in a tangy dressing.
Bring it to your next potluck or backyard bbq because everyone will enjoy this tasty salad.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- It's a healthy coleslaw recipe with the perfect blend of flavors.
- Kale coleslaw is perfect for meal prep and planning; make a large batch and use it for a few days for a quick lunch.
- It's an easy salad to make ahead of time, making it a perfect side dish for entertaining.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
- Fresh kale
- Red cabbage
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Soy sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Crushed garlic
- Chef's knife
- Mandoline slicer or food processor (optional)
- Cutting Board
- Large salad bowl
How to make this kale slaw recipe
Prepare the ingredients: rinse and dry the kale; a salad spinner is good. Remove the stems from the kale, and use a sharp knife, mandoline slicer or food processor to chop the kale.
Rinse and chop or use a food processor to chop the cabbage into small pieces.
STEP 1: Place the chopped kale and shredded cabbage into large bowl.
STEP 2: Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar and pour half over the salad. Serve with the reserved salad dressing on the side.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Kale - I used lacinato kale, or as it's also known, Tuscan kale or dinosaur kale to make this kale slaw recipe. You can use any variety of raw kale, such as curly kale, Russian kale, or baby kale.
Apple cider vinegar - Adds a delicious tang to the salad dressing, and can be replaced with white wine vinegar.
This is a simple salad. You can personalize it by adding additional ingredients to the main ones. Here are a few suggestions.
Add more vegetables - Add ½ cup shredded carrots, red onion or green onion.
Add fruit - Add 1 chopped apple, and dried cranberries for a sweet kale slaw.
Add nuts or seeds - Add one-half to a cup of chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, or sunflower seeds.
Add beans - Stir in a cup of white beans or chickpeas for extra protein and fiber.
How to store leftovers
This salad will last in the refrigerator for up to four days in an airtight container. If you plan on a leftover salad, dress the salad lightly and serve the remaining dressing on the side. This will prevent what's left over from becoming soggy.
How to make Kale coleslaw ahead of time
Despite being a straightforward recipe, it is still possible to save time by preparing this salad beforehand.
Rinse, dry, and chop the kale and cabbage Store each separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Make the dressing and store that in the refrigerator as well. When it's time to serve combine the cabbage and kale and toss in the dressing.
- Lightly dress the salad before serving and serve the extra dressing on the side.
- Kale can be tough, but if you massage it with your hands before adding it to the coleslaw, it will become softer in texture.
- Time-saving tip! Use pre-shredded cabbage and kale from the supermarket.
You can substitute kale in this salad with Swiss chard or spinach, but remember that the salad's texture will differ.
Yes, this kale cole slaw recipe is vegan; there are no animal ingredients used to make this salad.
Massaging the kale with a pinch of salt helps to reduce the bitterness. Also, the bitterness will fade if the salad sits in the dressing for 30 minutes or more.
Yes, they are! Red cabbage is often referred to as purple cabbage because its leaves are a purple-reddish color.
Kale Cole Slaw
- 1 bunch Kale Chopped
- ½ cup Red cabbage Shredded
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Prepare the ingredients: rinse and dry the kale. Remove the stems from 1 bunch Kale and use a sharp knife, mandoline slicer or food processor to chop the kale. Rinse and chop ½ cup Red cabbage.
- Place chopped kale and shredded cabbage into a large bowl.
- Combine 2 tablespoons Tahini, 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons Lemon juice, 2 tablespoons Soy sauce, 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 2 cloves garlic in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Pour half of the dressing over the salad and serve with the reserved dressing on the side.