Garlic roasted chickpeas are a delicious and healthy snack that can be enjoyed any time. They are crispy, flavorful and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
Whether you are looking for a mid-day crunchy snack or a tasty appetizer for your next party, these roasted chickpeas will be a hit! Not only are they delicious, they are healthy too.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- Healthy! Garlic-roasted chickpeas are a healthy snack packed with protein and fiber.
- Easy! Roasted chickpeas are easy to make and require very little prep time.
- Versatile! You can season garlic chickpeas with a variety of different spices see the suggestions below.
- Flavor! The crispy texture and flavor of garlic-roasted chickpeas make them a delicious and satisfying snack.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this simple recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Small mixing bowl
How to make oven-roasted chickpeas
Prepare the ingredients: If you are using canned chickpeas, drain a can of chickpeas and rinse them. Pat them dry with a clean dish towel or paper towels and remove any loose chickpea skins.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and heat the oven to 400 degrees f.
STEP 1: Place the chickpeas into a small bowl. Add the oil and garlic powder and toss.
STEP 2: Arrange the chickpeas on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
STEP 3: Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden and crispy.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this tasty chickpea recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Chickpeas - I use canned chickpeas for convenience, but you can also use cooked dried chickpeas.
Oil - I used olive oil which can be substituted with avocado oil, coconut oil or your favorite roasting oil.
Garlic-roasted chickpeas are a versatile snack! You can experiment with various flavors and ingredients to create variations. Here a few suggestions:
Spicy - Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
Lemon Garlic - Add some lemon zest with a splash of lemon juice or lemon pepper seasoning for a touch of brightness.
Parmesan Garlic - Grate parmesan cheese and toss it with the chickpeas for chest flavor.
Sweet and Savory - Drizzle a little bit of honey or maple syrup for a sweet and savory contrast.
Garlic Ranch - Mix in a tablespoon of ranch seasoning for the classic ranch flavor.
How to store leftovers
Roasted chickpeas are best when enjoyed shortly after they are made. If you do have leftovers, store at room temperature for a day or two in a glass container. If they lose their crunch, you can briefly reheat them in the oven to revive them.
💡Tips for making the best crispy roasted chickpeas
- Don't overcrowd the pan; spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet for the best crispy chickpeas.
- Allow the chickpeas to cool on the baking sheet after roasting, which will make them extra crunchy chickpeas.
- Thoroughly dry the chickpeas with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel before tossing them in oil and roasting them.
Yes, garlic-roasted chickpeas are considered vegan and vegetarian as long as you use plant-based oil (not butter) or cheese.
Yes, you can make roasted chickpeas in an air fryer. Mix the chickpeas with garlic and oil, arrange them in the air fryer basket or tray and cook at 375 degrees, shaking the basket until golden and crispy - about 15 to 20 minutes.
While they can be frozen, their texture may change after thawing, and they won't be as crispy.
Yes, garbanzo beans is another name for chickpeas.
You might also like these favorite recipes.
Do You like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐star rating below!
Garlic Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 ¾ cup chickpeas Cooked or 1 can
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Prepare the ingredients: Drain 1 ¾ cup chickpeasand rinse them. Pat them dry with a clean dish towel or paper towel and remove any loose skins. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees f.
- Place the chickpeas into a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon garlic powder and toss.
- Arrange the chickpeas on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake until golden and crispy about 25 to 30 minutes