Cajun chicken salad is a twist on traditional chicken salad. Cooked chicken, the base ingredient, is mixed with spicy Cajun seasonings and tossed with fresh veggies in a creamy yogurt-mayo dressing, making it a healthier version. This tasty salad is is packed with bold flavors and perfect for sandwiches or a light lunch served on top of salad greens.
This versatile chicken salad is the perfect combination of flavors and is easy to prepare. Leftover chicken is a great way to make this cajun chicken salad even faster, and if you don’t have leftover chicken, you can also use store-bought rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken fillets and shred them.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- Cajun seasoning blend adds a delicious and unique flavor to this chicken salad.
- Unlike traditional chicken salads drowning in heavy mayonnaise, this recipe is healthier by blending Greek yogurt with mayonnaise and spices.
- It’s a tasty chicken salad recipe that can be served on top of a garden salad, in a sandwich or on its own.
Here is what you will need to make this cajun chicken salad recipe
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this easy cajun salad recipe scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
- Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Bell Pepper
- Cajun Seasoning Blend
- Greek Yogurt
- Green Onions (for garnish)
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
How to make cajun chicken salad
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the peppers, celery, and chicken into bite-sized pieces.
STEP 1: Place the chopped vegetables and chicken into a mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Add the mayonnaise, yogurt and spice blend.
STEP 3: Use a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients together.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Bell Peppers – I like to use a variety of colors of bell peppers, but you can use all of the same color pepper.
Greek Yogurt – You can use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt or you can replace it entirely with mayonnaise.
Cajun spice blend – There is a wide variety of cajun spice blends that you can choose from in teh supermarket. I like Frontier Cajun Seasoning, or you can try making your own. Here is a recipe for a homemade cajun spice blend.
Serve your spicy cajun chicken salad as a sandwich garnished with green onion and, stuff it into a creamy avocado, or add it to your favorite garden salad like this three-ingredient salad or crispy kale and beet salad.
Try these variations for cajun chicken salad or create one of your own.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Salad – Add a cup of cooked pasta to the mixing bowl and increase the mayo and yogurt by about 1/4 cup each.
Mango and Chicken – Add a diced mango and a little bit of cilantro and a splash of fresh lime juice or lemon juice for a citrusy flavor with mango.
Cranberries and Walnuts – Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries and chopped walnuts to the salad for a little extra crunch.
Chicken Salad with Cheese – Add a 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, gorgonzola, or feta cheese for extra flavor.
Cajun Shrimp Salad – Replace cooked chicken with cooked shrimp for a tasty shrimp salad.
How to store leftovers
This is a good salad to make early in the week and use during the week in salads and sandwiches for a quick lunch. You can store leftover cajun chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- If time allows, this salad tastes best after it’s been refrigerated for at least an hour to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Cajun spice blend has a bit of a spicy kick, if you prefer a milder flavor, cut back on the amount of spice blend.
Yes, you can make this chicken salad ahead of time. Cook the chicken, chop the vegetables and mix the yogurt and mayonnaise together. Store everything separately in the refrigerator for up to two days. Assemble the salad at least an hour before serving. Alternatively, make the entire salad, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
It is not recommended to freeze this salad as the texture may change once it’s thawed out.
You might also like these easy Recipes
Do You like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐star rating below!
Cajun Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Breast cooked, shedded or chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Bell Pepper diced
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- Green Onion For garnish
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice blend
- Chop the peppers, celery and chicken into bite-sized pieces and place them into a mixing bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, yogurt and cajun spice blend.
- Use a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients. Garnish with green onions and serve in a sandwich or salad.