This vegetarian bean salad recipe is flavorful and healty. It's complete with protein-rich beans, crisp veggies, olives, and herbs tossed in a tangy dressing. Savor the refreshing taste with a slight saltiness.
Whether you are a dedicated vegetarian or simply looking for a wholesome and satisfying meal option or side dish, this recipe is a winner.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- It's healthy! Filled with beans which are a good source of plant-based protein.
- It's perfect for meal prep! Make it on the weekend and use it throughout the week.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
- Kalamata olives
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh dill
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Chef's knife
- Cutting Board
- Large mixing bowl
How to make this vegetarian bean salad recipe
Prepare the ingredients: Drain and rinse the beans if you are using canned beans. Chop the Olives, cucumber, onion and herbs.
Place the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
Add the chopped herbs.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Stir to combine; season with sea salt and black pepper.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Beans -I prefer using canned beans for convenience, but you can also use dried and cooked beans.
To make this salad, you can use various beans, such as black beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, Great Northern Beans, navy beans, or dark red kidney beans, in any combination you prefer.
Olives - If you don't like salty kalamata olives, feel free to omit them or substitute them with black olives.
Onion - I like red onion in this salad because it adds a nice color. You can also use sweet Vidalia onions or yellow onion.
Olive oil - For fresh salads, I like to use extra virgin olive oil which can be substituted with regular olive oil, avocado oil, or your preferred salad oil.
Serve this easy mixed bean salad as a light lunch or side dish with burgers, grilled chicken, or green salad for a complete meal.
This easy bean salad recipe is so versatile! You can mix and match ingredients adjust quantities and try new flavors. Get creative and make it your own.
Mediterranean Bean Salad - Add cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, and fresh chopped oregano.
Mexican Bean Salad - Spice up your salad with ingredients like diced avocado, corn kernels, chopped fresh cilantro, lime juice, and a dash of ground cumin and chili powder.
Spicy Mixed Bean Salad - Add some heat with diced jalapeno peppers, crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Herbs - Add fresh flavor, emphasize fresh herbs such as fresh basil, mint, and fresh parsley, and toss with cherry tomatoes.
Fresh veggies - Add any combination of fresh veggies such as red bell pepper, chopped broccoli, chopped cauliflower or zucchini.
How to store leftover homemade bean salad
Store leftover bean salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- If you are not serving the salad immediately, lightly dress the salad before serving and serve the extra dressing on the side.
- For the best flavor, allow your bean salad to marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If your salad becomes dry after being stored in the refrigerator, drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the salad to add moisture.
Instead of lemon juice, substitute it with white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar for a vinegar-based dressing. You can also make an Italian-style vinaigrette.
You can easily use frozen beans, but be sure to thaw them before adding them to the salad.
Do You like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐star rating below!
Vegetarian Bean Salad
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 cucumber diced
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1 handful fresh herbs such as parsley & dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Prepare the ingredients: Drain and rinse the beans if you are using canned beans. Chop the olives, cucumber, onion and herbs.
- Place the prepared salad ingredients (1 cup chickpeas, 1 cup pinto beans, 1 cucumber, ½ cup red onion, ½ cup kalamata olives) into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 handful fresh herbs and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon garlic powder